Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The New Super Bowl Shuffle


Okay, it happened. I can't believe it, but my Colts won the Super Bowl!

My team (of any sport, any level), hasn't won anything since 1987--Indiana University's last basketball championship. I guess technically, IU won something like 4 men's soccer championships while I was a student there, but come on, I said SPORTS.

I don't know how to feel. The euphoria isn't there. I took the obligatory pictures of myself in front of the television with the final score posted right after the game. I accepted the congratulations from friends and co-workers here in New York (everyone went out of their way to do this since they all know I'm from Indianapolis and therefore must have had something to do with the victory). Yet I feel empty.

I realize why. I'm not a live-vicarious kind of guy. I don't want to watch my teams win; I want to win it myself. I want to be the big gamer. I want to be the one who works hard and achieves greatness. Instead I'm a nacho eater. A party goer. A fan.

That's the difference between sports and comedy. I'll never be anything more than a fan in sports. In comedy, I'm a player. I love, respect, and admire those who came before me, but I fully expect to meet them on that plane.

Maybe someday I'll get to meet the President--any president--because I'm the Super Bowl champion of comedy.

1 comment:

Abbi Crutchfield said...

You're number one! You're number one! Why are you picking my nose in that picture? PS: Girlfriend props are a surefire way to keep people from reading your blog. PPS: Sorry.

Visitors